Saturday, July 08, 2006

les cailloux - part deux


It's like a wise man once said: “those French have a different word for everything” Here's the way it usually works around our house:

1. ) I stay up all night trolling the Information Superhighway for “shiny things.” I can justify this because I am a “designer” and I am doing “inspiration research.” (I'm actually on pretty solid ground here; Nike used to fly us all over the globe to do nothing but stay in fancy hotels, have dinner with interesting and beautiful people and “shop the market.” They paid for all of this whilst still paying me my weekly wage. No lie. Ah, but I digress...)

2. ) I play it for for Owen & Daisy the following morning. Over and over, to their gleeful cries: “again Daddy, again!!!” This includes, but is not always limited to burning a CD for us to play ad nauseum in our car (okay, our Minivan).

3. ) Because said “shiny thing” is usually in a foreign language such as Japanese or French, after a period of time, I become a little bit curious about what it is exactly I and my children have been singing nonstop for the 24-36 hours previous, so it's off to googletopia for the answer.

Fortunately this time, it was only rocks (stones actually...) *whew!*

To quote one winemaker’s website: “The name of the domain comes from cailloux roulés or galet roulés, the French name for the big stones of Chateauneuf du Pape.”

Okay, so we know now that "les cailloux" could be a reference to everyone's favorite Rh
ône varietal, but still, they said "big stones," which makes me giggle…

Adieu mon ami!

No comments: